Men were taller in the past
Body size: 100 years ago people were considerably smaller
The tallest women live in Latvia, the tallest men in the Netherlands. That was the result of a study by Imperial College in London. The average 18-year-old Dutchman was about 1.83 meters tall in 2014, the average Latvian 1.70 meters. Germany ranks 14th for women (1.66 meters) and 11th for men (1.80 meters). In 2014, the smallest men lived in East Timor (1.60 meters), the smallest women in Guatemala (1.49 meters).
Majid Ezzati's international team of researchers examined data on the height of people in 200 countries who were born between 1896 and 1996. It also came out that the people in many countries have grown considerably larger over the past 100 years. This was most evident among men in Iran and women in South Korea. While Iranians are on average 20.2 centimeters taller than they were 100 years ago, South Koreans have grown 16.5 centimeters.
The researchers hope that the findings will allow conclusions to be drawn about the state of health in the countries examined. "This study gives us a picture of the health of whole peoples over the past hundred years," said Majid Ezzati. Those who are taller live longer on average and are less prone to cardiovascular diseases.
07/26/2016 l dpa
Photo: Fotolia / benik.at
- What do you think of quantum entanglement
- Can I update my PAN card photo?
- Is the Jewish culture derived from the Canaanite culture
- What would our world be without time
- What are some of the arguments in favor of legalized prostitution
- What do you expect from MWC 2019
- Are Petco and Petsmart the same
- What is the future of Ballarpur Industries
- Supports Internet Explorer SPDY
- Why don't we categorize chemtrails
- Shisha pens are unhealthy
- What are the different versions of JDK
- Which is smarter dogs or elephants
- How good is the advice from The Motley Fool
- Isn't religion for everyone
- Am I 3d or 4d
- How do I safely drink sea water
- How can I impress a New Yorker
- Is it sacrilegious to pray to Superman?
- Are there billionaires who own banks?
- How many 8's are in 888
- Why do some people don't have a jaw
- What is Julie Andrews area
- Could a person become a philosopher today?
- What is China's greatest weakness
- What is translational medicine
- How did the Sentinelese survive without fire?
- Have you toured Windsor Castle before
- What does steady state mean in rowing
- What if we don't have a shower day
- Why is Zerodha a top broker
- People generally have low morals these days
- Are all socialist countries the same
- What is the greatest genre of music today