What does college mean
How does the American education system work?
The best universities in the world are to be found in the USA - no wonder, after all, despite the high tuition fees, these have a particularly high priority in the American education system.
The school system in the USA
In the USA, general school attendance is usually up to the age of 16 or 18, depending on the state. A three-tier school system with a grammar school, secondary school and secondary school as in Germany does not exist in the USA. Instead, children with different talents attend school together.
A child's school career in America begins with the six-year "Elementary School", which starts with kindergarten and goes through to 6th or 8th grade. In grades 7 to 9, the “Middle School” or “Junior High School” continues. The pupils then attend the “high school”, which is comparable to the German comprehensive school. American teenagers attend this school from grades 9 to 12 and 10 to 12 respectively.
Graduating from high school entitles you to attend college. In the USA, university education has a particularly high status. The USA is the nation with the highest percentage of young people attending college.
The school system is state-run, which means that everyone has the opportunity to attend school free of charge until they have completed compulsory schooling. This offer is used by 90% of the students. The remaining 10% attend one of the country's private schools.
What is the difference between college and university?
The term college or university depends in part on the individual states. A bachelor's degree or just a degree in certain areas can often be obtained at college. At the university, however, a doctorate is also possible. The college and university are thus similar to the German technical college and university.
High tuition fees for universities
There are different types of colleges: undergraduate schools, graduate schools, and professional schools. In principle, tuition fees are charged at the universities, which also far exceed the German tuition fees at state universities. However, because this branch of education has a very high status, many parents take on these high costs. Many years in advance of this, save for the education of their children. A much more extensive range of scholarships than in Germany enables socially disadvantaged and particularly good students to attend a college or university. Famous American universities include Princeton University, Harvard University, Columbia University, and Yale University.Author: Miriam Bax
Published on February 3, 2011
Tags: College, High School, School System USA
- What is amazon com bad at
- What is the Mi Flash Unlock Tool
- What could cause halogen lamps to explode?
- Why do things get weird sometimes
- How do I choose delivery dates
- Where can I buy wallpaper online
- Are there 5G-compatible tablets
- What was the legacy of ancient Greece
- How is Genius doing at the end of 2015
- How is the view while diving
- How can I organize my Simplenote tags
- Why is Alabama more populous than Mississippi
- What plants do reverse osmosis
- What are some life changing movie books
- Where are the prices for industrial chemicals listed
- Is there a badminton group in Dubai
- What food is popular in Ottawa
- How does existing grass spread its seed
- How many countries have federalism?
- Are law firms facilities
- Why are the waves higher at night
- Why do tetanus outbreaks occur
- How did feminism become so anti-liberal
- What is the lock file extension
- Is the cycle in bits mandatory
- Trump dies of a heart attack
- What are some social Trojans
- You can drive a Ferrari 488 every day
- Why should I study macroeconomics
- When should you flush a cannula
- Who was the best team in cricket
- What you do not understand
- What is an injury attorney
- Where do atheists get their energy from?