What does X mean for 1
someone an X for a demonstration (German)
Part of speech: idiomHyphenation:
- each | you | show an X for a U |
- IPA: [ˌJeːmandəm aɪ̯n ˈɪks ˌfʏɐ aɪ̯n ˈuː ˈfoɐ̯ˌmaχən], [… ˈfoɐ̯ˌmaxn̩]
- 1) cheat or deceive someone
- The idiom refers to the Latin numerals "X" ([10)]) and "V" ([5)]). By extending the lines of the “V” downwards, an “X” was created and thus, if applicable, twice the amount (for debts, bill and so on). Until the 17th century, the script did not differentiate between the letters "U" and "V", so the earlier version was "Show someone an X for a V".
- 1) cheating, misleading, deceiving, deceiving, ripping someone off
- 1) Windy business people often try to get their customers to show an X for a U.
- 1) I'll let me Don't pretend an X for a U!
- English: 1) to lead someone up the garden path, to pull the wool over someone's eyes
- French: 1) faire prendre des vessies pour des lanternes
- Dutch: 1) somebody verkopen voor citroen, iemand om de tuin suffer
- Swedish: 1) slå blå dunster i ögonen på någon, blanda bort korten för någon, föra någon bakom ljuset
Entries from our dictionary that contain "show someone an X for a U":
X:… 2a + 2b) That was a certain Mr. X who just called here. Saying / idioms: 1) show someone an X for a U Typical word combinations: 2a) the day / the hour ...
fooling someone: ... meaning to deceive someone: to kid someone else to tie up a bear to someone an X for a U to fool someone into April send someone behind ...
kidding someone: ... fooling around 2) tying someone up 2) fooling someone 2) fooling someone with an X for a U 2) sending someone to April 2) someone to ...
to tie someone up with a bear: ... kidding 1) fooling someone 1) fooling someone 1) faking someone an X for a U 1) sending someone to April 1) someone to ...
U: ... Terms: 1) uppercase U, lowercase U Examples of use: idioms / idioms: 1) show someone an X for a U Translations Irish: 1) U, Ogham ...
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Show someone an X for a U" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (23.5.2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/jemandem_ein_X_für_ein_U_vormachen/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. Add a note to the entry "show someone an X for a U" and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
scrub a few on someone (German) Part of Speech: idiomatic expression variant forms: someone shy away from hyphenation: je | man | which some shy away from ...
rebuff someone (German) Part of Speech: Idiom Hyphenation: je | man | dem one | ne | drove he | teil | len Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA: ...
put one on someone (German) part of speech: idiom Hyphenation: je | man | dem one | ne | lay word meaning / definition: 1) one ...
glue one to someone (German) Part of Speech: Idiom Hyphenation: je | man | dem ei | ne | ben Word meaning / definition: 1) casually ...
to rub someone (German) Part of Speech: Idiom Variations: A few chafe someone Hyphenation: je | one | the one shy | ne ...
to tie someone up with a bear (German) Part of speech: idiom Other spellings: tying a bear to someone Hyphenation: je | man | dem…
Do someone a disservice (German) Part of Speech: Idiom ancillary forms: doing someone a disservice Hyphenation: je | one | the one ...
give someone a lesson (German) Part of Speech: Idiom Secondary forms: Give someone a memorandum of thought Hyphenation: je | one | the one ...
give someone a lesson (German) Part of Speech: Idiom Secondary forms: give someone a memorandum of thought Hyphenation: je | one | the one ...
- What is a timetable
- Can you tell me something about intimacy
- Why is the specific resistance the reciprocal of the conductivity
- Is there a Portuguese influence in Andorra
- How do I become a child poet
- Can we exercise after masturbation
- Did science explain werewolves
- Which state started Bhagirathi Mission?
- Who makes the best shirts in India
- What's your favorite place in Kashmir
- What was the name of Jesus before 1546
- Mumbai is a district
- Can I use SIM on the 4G network?
- Are Oreos really not halal
- What kind of wigs do you like
- Psychotherapy Psychotherapist is a protected term
- What is the universe part of
- Can someone be my friend 1
- What is the future of Israel's economy
- Why do people like Shraddha Kapoor
- Should I get an education?
- Why is my mother hiding my shirts
- What was your most frustrating civ experience
- What is the Trueman Show
- What do secular Jews believe in?
- Why do people hate Mario Ballotelli
- What is the story of python
- Should Apple buy Foursquare
- How do I get clay product buyers
- Can God convert a Hindu
- What's your favorite boho dress
- What does the medical term somnambulism mean
- How to remove versato ransomware
- What is the future of Flickr