Why is sodium hypochlorite in bleach
physical and chemical properties
|odor||typically after chlorine||boiling point||decomposed|
|molar mass||74.44 g / mol||Density (° C)||1.2 g / cm3|
|Condition at 20 ° C||firmly||Solubility in water (0 ° C)|
Solubility in water (23 ° C)
|29.3 g / 100 ml |
96 g / 100 ml
Manufacture and application
Sodium hypochlorite is produced by introducing chlorine gas into sodium hydroxide solution or by electrolysis of a common salt solution.
It is used as an oxidizing agent, e.g. to destroy dyes as a bleaching agent and to detoxify cyanides as well as in the field of disinfection, e.g. also for chlorinating drinking water and swimming pool water.
Environmental impact and health
Develops toxic chlorine gas with acids. Reacts with light metals, chlorine is released on contact with oxidizing agents. Dangerous reactions: The anhydrous salt is explosive. Sodium hypochlorite is a water-polluting substance with the classification WGK 2.
Wastewater treatment / drinking water treatment
Sodium hypochlorite in wastewater leads, among other things, to the formation of poorly degradable AOX compounds. In Appendix 40 (metal processing) of the Waste Water Ordinance, it is advised to detoxify cyanides without the use of sodium hypochlorite.
- How does the Lebesgue integration work
- Which coffee brew is the healthiest
- Is Real Madrid the best counterattack side
- Where are you in politics
- Ruined Disney MGM
- Can Outlook work with Gmail
- Which law worries you most
- Who was Onesimus in the Bible
- Was your last kiss drunk or sober
- Which salon do you work for?
- What if Orochimaru taught Naruto?
- What popular songs had incredibly flat lyrics
- What qualifies as a severe disability
- Can you build a website using SQL?
- What is standard shape
- South Asian hair is naturally frizzy
- What is illegal in the UK
- Who was Lord Rama's Guru
- Alcohol damages your intelligence
- What is the word for someone in Buddhism
- We live in a golden age
- What is the GDP of Bhutan
- What can I use with latex paint
- You can cycle through a passage