Where can I translate my documents from?

Certifications and translations

The uni-assist universities have common standards for official certification and sworn translation. Here's what to look out for.

Standards for official certification

How do copies have to be certified?

Officially certified copies must always contain:

  1. the imprint of the Official seals in the original and
  2. the signature of Authenticator in the original

In the case of an officially certified copy with several sheets, it must be clear that each page comes from the same official certification. There are the following options for this:

  • With the official seal: The official seal must be visible on all sides. To do this, the person who certifies the copy staples the pages, offset, and stamps them with the official seal. Each page bears part of the official seal imprint. The declaration of authentication and signature is then sufficient on just one page.
  • With string and embossed seal: Even in the case of certification by a notary or a notary with string and embossed seal, the declaration of the certification and the signature on just one page is sufficient.
Where can I have documents certified?
Certify documents:
  • issuing institutions, e.g. schools, universities and language schools,
  • the Ministry of Education in your home country,
  • the German embassies and consulates,
  • the cultural department of the embassy of the country from which the certificate originates,
  • the authorities and notaries who are allowed to carry out official certification in your home country.

Important:Translators are allowed to write documents in the original language Not authenticate.

In Germany, every public body that bears an official seal can officially certify, for example:

Important:Translators are allowed to write documents in the original language Not authenticate.

Public authorities in Germany are allowed to certify foreign language documents - but they are not obliged to do so. If you cannot find a public body in Germany to certify your documents, contact the embassy in your home country or a notary.

How do I send certified copies?

You have to send your officially certified copies to uni-assist by post. A scan / upload of certified documents is available Not sufficient. Even a simple paper copy of an officially certified copy will be made Not accepted.

Standards for the certificate language

Submit your testimonials in the Original language one - and additionally in German or English translation. This also applies to your overview of subjects and grades.

Are your certificates (also) officially issued in German or English in your country of origin? Then we do not need a translation (exceptions: see country information).

Certificates in French must be translated into German or English.

Standards for sworn translations

We accept translations of certificates from the following bodies:
  • Persons or institutions who are entitled to a sworn or judicially approved translation,
  • an authorized department of the issuing school or university.

We can do translations by simple translation agencies without being sworn in Not accept.

You must also have copies of translations certified. Translators are allowed to stamp copies of their own translations with their original stamp. However, translators cannot certify the documents in the original language.

You might also be interested in

Have you got all the documents together and provided you with the necessary translations and certifications?

We continue with the next step.

apply online