Why do fish swim in schools
School of fish
Photo: editorial staff
Not only during adolescence, when you have to protect yourself from predators, fish form so-called schools, but also when they are fully grown fish are grouped in schools. Norwegian researchers at the Institute for Marine Research (IMR) are studying how decisions are made in schools of fish.
Basically, the question arises why swarms are formed. One of the main reasons is protection from predators. It is interesting that the predators in turn form fish schools at a young age. If barracudas and hammerhead sharks are considered loners in old age, these fish species can be observed in schools at a young age. Other reasons for the formation of schools are overwintering and the breeding behavior of the fish.
If a school of fish is attacked, the fish begin to swim in circles. The Norwegian researchers want to find out how decisions are made in a swarm. Are the predators the triggers that force the fish to swim in circles, or is this behavior generated by the school? Killer whales have developed a unique hunting strategy in which they round up the swarm and force it to rise to the surface of the water.
A school of fish is seen as a leaderless, self-organizing system. The movements and decisions of the individual fish are mainly made by imitating the reactions of the neighboring fish. The millions of individual decisions are made from the inner motivation and the need to survive of every single fish. Seen from the outside, this behavior appears to be a collective decision.
It is not a democratic process that underlies collective behavior. Rather, the behavior can be compared with physical laws. The swarm moves in the direction of least resistance. That means he moves away from the attacker. The formation of a circle or a sphere also gives the swarm the smallest surface area for an attack. The Norwegian researchers compare this behavior with the historical, collective decision of people to speak the same language.
- How can education affect the community
- What is a fuse box on a car
- Which is better amethyst or moom
- What's going on lose and lose
- How is math good
- Why do long-distance runners lose toenails
- Are you fighting with your mother
- National Science Foundation grants are taxable
- How to say middle in Japanese
- What are the best Korean thriller films
- Why do we need credibility 1
- Who uploaded the Ranu video
- What is the future scope in ITIS
- What is 3 14 pi day
- Why is uranium enrichment important
- How do I create a storage LUN
- Can I masturbate while meditating
- Electricity flows in running water
- Correlates health with happiness
- What is the CCPWC Portal
- Why does dementia cause problems
- What is a karmic cycle
- Is salt a neutral acid or alkali
- How can I maximize my language learning