What can volcanoes create?
Volcanoes for schoolchildren
At some point a volcano also dies, but then it is called extinction. A volcano that has not been active for 10,000 years is counted among the extinct volcanoes. "Hot spot" volcanoes are considered extinct when they have migrated over the hot spots in the Earth's upper mantle. Thus, in the case of volcanic chains created by a "hot spot", only the youngest volcano that is currently located above the hot spot is active.
What happens to an extinct volcano? Since there are no more eruptions that bring new rock to the surface of the earth, the volcano no longer grows. However, it is also not retained in its shape and size. The volcanic mountain stands in the landscape and is exposed to rain, wind, ice, snow and sun. The weather makes the volcano to create. Heavy rains wash out the rock, temperature differences make it brittle and the wind rubs against the rock like a piece of sandpaper. All of these processes are called erosion. They cause the volcano to shrink until it can no longer be seen.
Image: The extinct volcano Stromboliccio.
Which volcanoes are extinct? The Kaiserstuhl and the Vogelsberg are extinct volcanoes very close to us. They were the largest volcanoes in Germany. All volcanoes of the volcanic island chain of Hawaii are extinct except for Mauna Loa and Kilauea on the island of Hawaii. Even in the Alps there were once volcanoes, but all that remains of them is rock fragments. The actual volcanic mountains are completely gone.
Nevertheless, there are also volcanoes that can only break out again after several hundred thousand years of calm. An example of these volcanoes is the Yellowstone volcano in the USA. Between its eruptive phases, the volcano rests for 600,000 years.
That brings us to the end of our excursion into the world of volcanoes. I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I did writing!
Here again the links to the volcano quiz and the worksheets. New are free volcano photos in print quality.
- Why does gravity create an acceleration
- How is the Indian political system unique
- Birds ever use their nests again
- I want to activate my Uber account
- Can I track my Redmi Note 4?
- Why aren't your answers more satisfactory?
- How does the human heart rate work
- What is the name of a piece of music
- Does being an intellectual make you intelligent?
- What causes rotten eggs to belch during pregnancy
- You can have pneumonia and bronchitis
- What's in Alfredo Sauce
- What does Sam Harris think of ISIS?
- How many soldiers were drafted in World War II
- What is a wanderlust
- Why don't my girlfriend's parents like me
- Learning languages is a good idea
- Are visual arts and law linked
- Are insects zooplankton
- Who is a gastric doctor
- Why don't we categorize chemtrails
- What is madness
- How different is college from high school
- Why did Digg fail
- What is physics from your point of view
- Who will win Eurovision 2015
- Can Vitamin Pills Really Give You Energy
- How is Bollywood for the newcomers
- How to make 1M concentrated HCl
- Shapewear is bad for your circulation
- What is the main Pixar movie
- How is the degree in civil engineering good
- What is meant by index