Who launched the ICON space weather satellite
Ionospheric missile launched from aircraft
Washington - The US space agency NASA has started a mission to research the earth's outer atmosphere and has brought the ICON satellite ("Ionospheric Connection Explorer") into space with a Pegasus XL rocket.
Launchers of this type do not start directly from a spaceport, but are brought to an altitude of 12,000 meters by plane. There they are released, drop a little and then ignite their engine. Loads of almost half a ton can be brought into orbit in this way.
The zone examined by the satellite, the ionosphere, extends from 80 to about 640 kilometers in altitude. It thus includes the thermosphere, in which the ISS, for example, also circles, and the lower section of the exosphere. The latter has no real outer boundary, it just thins out in the direction of interplanetary space. With ICON, NASA wants to find out how space weather affects this zone.
In the ionosphere, continuous streams of particles from the sun - so-called solar winds - can cause problems that affect the earth. "This is a dynamic region where changes can disrupt communications and satellite orbits and even increase the radiation risk for astronauts," NASA wrote on Twitter after the launch. Understanding and predicting these changes helps to better protect such technologies and space travelers.
The ICON satellite is to record the processes in the ionosphere on its orbit at an altitude of 575 kilometers from November. The focus is on the so-called airglow, a weak glow in the higher atmospheric layers. ICON will analyze this glow, according to NASA. (red, APA, October 11, 2019)
- Why is your narcissist suddenly very quiet
- How do PN junction diodes work
- What is child psychology
- How Safe is All Clad Cookware
- Do you ever miss being married?
- Can K-pop idols become American idols?
- A paper airplane can fly forever
- How many miles is 17,684 meters
- Why does the Indian Navy not use hovercraft
- Will the Yelp Elite be obsolete?
- What exercises will build broad shoulders
- Is there a safe mode for the iPhone?
- Who is bigger than the sky?
- South Asian hair is naturally frizzy
- What is a distributor
- Most Americans are independent voters
- Can sociopaths really care about someone?
- What is the market size for silicone films
- What is Google's biggest secret
- What does Sam Harris think of ISIS?
- What does it teach you to be a waiter
- What purpose do university sports serve
- Where can I learn acting
- At what age can schizophrenia be diagnosed