How do I cook top rib beef
Ultra juicy short ribs: this is how the beef ribs are perfect
Everyone knows pork spare ribs - but anyone who has fallen in love with beef short ribs knows that there is no turning back. In recent years, beef ribs have made a name for themselves in the barbecue scene. As is so often the case, the BBQ hype from the USA spilled over to us in Europe and the supposedly banal soup meat with bones is slowly but surely gaining a new image. Completely justified, as we think - on the Fleischglück marketplace, short ribs are already among the absolute top sellers. Because: When prepared flawlessly, they are almost reminiscent of a buttery piece of brisket. We took a closer look at the rustic cousin of pork ribs together with Lucki Maurer and take you on a journey into the world of buttery tender beef ribs.
The names for the cuts from the rib area of the beef vary around the world. We'll give you a brief overview:
- Germany - Cross rib / mid rib / loin ribs / tension rib
- Austria - Beef rib / beef ribs
- France - Lower Cote
- Spain - Aguja
- Italy - Costola del Bestiame / Sottospalla
- Great Britain - Ribs / back ribs
- USA - Short Ribs / Navel Short Ribs /Beef ribs
What is the difference between spare ribs and short ribs?
Similar to the pork ribs, there are also two main sub-categories for beef ribs.
- Plate / Beef Short Ribs - from the area between the front chest and the back flank
- Navel short ribs - boneless - from the flat area that is located directly on the brisket - extremely marbled, especially with Wagyu
- Chuck Short Ribs - cut from the area under the neck of the beef
If you take a closer look at all three, it quickly becomes clear that the plate and chuck short ribs have a much higher proportion of meat. What they owe to their anatomical position - this begins at the front of the chest and extends to the abdomen. The brisket also comes from this area. But the name can be misleading. Because the beef ribs are anything but short. The cut is really huge and has something very original about it - that's why they are affectionately called "Dino Ribs". The back ribs, which should also be mentioned, are a bit more bony and run along the top of the main rib.
How are the short ribs particularly tender?
In this article, we will focus on the short ribs, which are currently experiencing the greatest boom. Just as with the beef brisket, the beef ribs contain only coarse fibers with a lot of intramuscular fat, which, if properly prepared, fall off the bone almost by themselves.
Regardless of which part of the beef rib you choose, they all have an extremely high proportion of connective tissue and become incredibly tough if the cooking method is too hot and fast. To prevent this, the traditional method of slow and gentle cooking is used (Low & Slow). The ribs are gently smoked at a low temperature for several hours so that the collagen can turn into gelatine. A charcoal-fired ceramic grill, for example, is suitable for this. A gas grill that is able to keep very low temperatures is also suitable.
A sweet and sour marinade can be used to make the meat even more tender and juicy. The acid accelerates the breakdown of protein in the meat and rounds off the taste. Lucki Maurer, on the other hand, swears by a dry rub in combination with sticky maple syrup. Through an exposure phase in a vacuum, the aromas penetrate the meat and a semi-liquid spice layer is created, which caramelises on the grill and absorbs smoke aromas.
The perfect temperature
"You have to remember two numbers" says Lucki Maurer in the video: 130 and 90. 130 degrees refers to the temperature inside the grill. It ensures the ideal low & slow cooking environment and gently brings the meat to temperature - which brings us to the second number. 90 degrees is the core temperature we aim for in the grill. This combination creates short ribs that are guaranteed not to fail.
Why does Lucki Maurer recommend a ceramic grill? The resulting steam from meat and moist spice casing is absorbed and returned by the ceramic casing. This keeps the meat moist and protects it from drying out. With all low & slow methods, however, at least 4-5 hours should be allowed for the cooking process. This is how long it takes to achieve the perfect, creamy, melting consistency (i.e. 90 degrees in the core).
The rub and its ingredients
In the video you can see how Lucki Maurer puts together his rib for the SHort ribs. It should be clear that there is a completely different way of doing this. So that you can orientate yourself on its composition, the individual ingredients come here with a rough amount. Weighing is not necessary with a rub, the ingredients should simply be in a meaningful balance. You can calculate about 30 grams per spice.
- Onion powder,
- Mustard powder,
- Sweet paprika,
- Cayenne pepper,
- black pepper,
- Garlic powder
- Brown sugar
- Mace blossom, ground
- Maple syrup (rubbed directly onto the meat before the spices)
Can I prepare the short ribs differently?
Of course, there isn't just one way to make deliciously juicy short ribs. Alternatively, the ribs can also be braised in the roaster for 4-5 hours. Then the hot water, which is around 90 degrees, provides the same effect that a smoker produces at low temperature. The meat is slowly brought to a core temperature of 90 degrees, where it reaches its perfect consistency. The method of preparation is then similar to ox cheeks or goulash, where all the collagen in the meat has been converted into gelatine after a cooking process for hours.
Short ribs from the grill according to Lucki Maurer
- 1 piece of short ribs
- 250 grams of dry rub with salt (spices to taste - see video and list above)
- 50 ml maple syrup
- Release the bones from the short ribs - alternatively, order boneless navel short ribs.
- Mix a rub and spread out in a large bowl.
- Rub the short ribs with maple syrup and then roll in the rub so that all areas are covered with spices.
- Vacuum the short ribs and let them steep for at least an hour (ideal: over after in the refrigerator)
- Preheat grill (ideally ceramic grill) to 130 degrees. This temperature must be kept constant. Place the short ribs on the wire rack.
- Pierce the core temperature meter into the meat and cook until the core of the meat reaches 90 degrees. This is the ideal cooking point.
- When the core has reached 90 degrees, remove the short ribs from the grill. Let rest for 10 minutes and carve into 2cm thick slices against the fibers.
- Why can testosterone be converted into estrogen
- One exception is a runtime error
- Did Passover happen at all?
- What is the name of Jinn in English
- Why are you better than others
- Does the earned income include social security
- How does it feel after I apologize?
- What does FPT mean in the sanitary sector
- Is AWS more reliable than GCP
- Is by and large a real word
- What is a common emitter amplifier
- Why are plant cells rectangular
- What software is useful for designing
- How can poverty be reduced in Bhutan?
- You should exfoliate before using pore strips
- Who is now the President of NASA
- Race exists scientifically
- Which is better Nirma or IITRAM
- What is middle adulthood
- What is the current map of India
- Can I study both engineering and economics
- How can I make an oil lamp
- How does it feel to be you
- Why is it called punk rock