Where is the smallest cathedral in Scotland

Glasgow Cathedral - Notable Cathedrals

Glasgow Cathedral is now the meeting place for the Scottish Church of Glasgow, which is part of the city's presbytery. Located on the east side of Cathedral Road and on the north part of the High Road, the cathedral is one of the finest medieval buildings in Scotland. In fact, it is the only building on mainland Scotland that survived the 1560 Reformation. Also known as St. Mungo's, St. Kentigern's Cathedral or the Glasgow High Kirk, the church was built on the site of St. Kentigern's grave and marks the birthplace of Glasgow.


The cathedral's origin is linked to the birth of the city, and the current location is where St. Mungo's church built. The Glasgow High Kirk was built in the late 19th century before the Reformation and served as the seat of the bishop and later the seat of the archbishop. The structure is a perfect example of the Scottish architectural style. James IV sanctioned the perpetual peace treaty with the United Kingdom at the altar of the church on December 12, 12.

The High Kirk and some of the nearby castles played a vital role in the Glasgow battles of 1544 and 1560. To help maintain the cathedral, James VI gave. On April 22, 1581, part of the income from some lands to the Kirk. Although it is not a cathedral as it has not served as a bishopric since 1960, it is still used as an active Christian place of worship, just like most pre-Reformation churches. Glasgow University grew out of the classes that were held in the Kirk district. Bishop William Turnbull founded the university in 1451. The Kirk's bishops served as campus chancellors for approximately 200 years.

Unique features

The cathedral has a spire and a tower that were added to the building after the wooden tower collapsed. During the early 1400s, a lightning attack destroyed the wooden church tower, and Bishop Lauder rebuilt the current tower. Bishop Cameron, his successor, added the octagonal tower to the building. The chapel and tomb of Saint Mungo are in Kirk's crypt. The diocese planned to install the stained glass windows in 1856, and the Munich artist painted the first glasses. By 1930 the windows had deteriorated and needed to be replaced, so Scottish artists worked on them for 30 years. In fact, only two Munich windows are installed and three more can be seen.


The High Kirk was built in the 13th century and after a few centuries some parts of the building had fallen apart and this prompted conservation work which began during the 1990s. The project included replacing any stones that had worn away over time. The stonemasons used stones that were similar to the original stone used by medieval stonemasons. The restoration process also involved removing the contaminant encrustation and even realigning it with lime mortar. The experts also curved new battlements, window tracery and gargoyles. Conservation of the east end of the building ended during the early 2000 and over 200 tombstones were installed from 2008 to 2011. The conservation work has not yet been completed.

Author: Kimberly Keller

Kimberly Keller is a 27 year old journalist. Player. Television scientist. Award-winning troublemaker. Non-apologetic organizer. Friendly alcohol freak. Pop culture guru.