Why should moss be better than grass
Remove moss and weeds from the lawn
Thatched lawn needs special care. What helps against moss and weeds? How do you rehabilitate the floor? And what do you have to consider when sowing the lawn?
by Uwe Leiterer
Moss and weeds spread in the lawn if the grass is not resilient. For example, frequent mowing can remove important nutrients from the soil - these often end up as grass clippings in the organic waste bin or on the compost. In order to permanently remove moss and weeds, hobby gardeners should first thoroughly renovate the lawn.
Weeds in the lawn: this is how the green space recovers
These measures help the lawn to recover:
- race scarifyto remove tangles from grass roots, weeds and moss
- Neutralize the pH of the soilto lay the foundation for good growth
- Fertilize the lawnto eliminate nutritional deficiencies
- Apply compost or soil activator as the basis for the lawn seed
- Sow lawn seedsuse certified seeds
Scarify lawns against moss, grass roots and weeds
Moss, grass roots, and weeds can form a thatch that prevents the grass from growing. Scarifying is then advisable. A scarifier is a kind of rake with sharp knives that cut up the lawn and thus ensure permeability. As a side effect, you pull moss out of the lawn with the scarifier. Scarifying by hand is extremely exhausting. If you have large areas, you should borrow an electric scarifier from a hardware store for a fee (around 30 euros).
A long-term comparison by the market editorial team in spring and summer 2020 also shows that scarifying makes sense. Newly sown lawns on the scarified area grew most evenly. Another advantage of scarifying is the good preparation of the soil for reseeding. The seeds did not float away in heavy rain because the surface was roughened.
Fighting moss in the lawn: Better to avoid iron fertilizers
For years, hardware stores and specialist retailers have been recommending iron fertilizers and other means with iron (II) sulfate against moss against moss in the lawn. But even after a long-term comparison of the market, skepticism is appropriate. Iron fertilizer can be harmful to people and animals, is extremely corrosive and less useful in the long term than other processing methods for combating moss.
All weed killers (herbicides) have one thing in common: if the causes of the moss growth are not eliminated, it will keep coming back. Typical causes are:
- Shadow: Grass needs sun. Moss also grows in the shade. If a lawn is too heavily shaded, even the best treatment will not help. Partial shade can still be compensated for with lawn seeds for the shade. However, if the lack of light is too great, the lawn in this area should be abandoned.
- Wetness: Grass needs moisture, but to a reasonable extent. If it is always too damp, the grass roots rot. This can be due to compacted soil. That is why it helps to dig it up and mix in construction sand so that the water does not stand still. If the cause is a high water table, it is better to use the lawn in a different way.
In a long-term comparison of the market, "Compo-Moos No Thanks!" a product with ferrous sulfate is used. Although the concentration of the substance is lower than with the classic iron fertilizer, the result is identical: the moss dies and the soil becomes more and more acidic due to the corrosive effect of the ferrous sulfate. This will worsen the growth conditions for the grass and the moss will spread more strongly in the next year.
Neutralize the pH value of the soil with lime
Grass does not grow well on acidic soils. If the pH of a soil is below 5.5 (neutral is 7), the lawn no longer receives enough nutrients. The pH value can be measured in five minutes with a quick test from the hardware store (from five euros). If the pH value is too low, the acid can be neutralized by adding soda lime. A spreader (rent: from 10 euros, purchase price: from 30 euros) helps with the dosage. It is essential to observe the quantities stated on the packaging. A sack of 20 kilograms of lawn lime costs around 10 euros.
Fertilize the lawn to eliminate nutrient deficiencies
Lawn draws nutrients from the soil. Anyone who does not leave the clippings on the surface (mulching) throws important nutrients onto the compost with each clippings. These can be replaced with fertilizer. Organic fertilizers are the means of choice here. Their heavy metal load is significantly lower than that of mineral fertilizers. At the same time, organic fertilizers promote soil life. Organic fertilizers can be applied directly with the seed, mineral fertilizers cannot. Another advantage: you can step back on the lawn immediately after fertilization.
Spread compost or soil activator on the lawn
Once the lawn has been scarified, the pH value checked and, if necessary, the lawn re-limed, compost or soil activator is applied before sowing the lawn seeds:
- compost is organic material that is broken down under the influence of atmospheric oxygen and by bacteria and fungi, mainly into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O). Humus is formed in the process. Therefore, compost is primarily a soil improver, which is considered an ideal breeding ground for microorganisms, makes nutrients in the humus layer available to plants and thus acts as an organic fertilizer.
- In addition, substrates are available in specialist shops, which are available as Soil activator are designated. The granulate also contains minerals and microorganisms in concentrated form.
Sowing lawn seeds: Use certified seeds
Certified lawn seeds, for example RSM 2.3, are ideal. For 250 square meters of lawn you need seeds for around 50 euros. Mix the seeds vigorously and do not sow too early. The higher the soil temperature, the better the seeds will germinate. Experts recommend waiting until mid-May before sowing. But you can also create a lawn until September. The lawn seeds can be spread evenly with a spreader.
What helps against gaps in the lawn?
Repair kits are available in hardware stores that are designed to quickly and easily remove holes in the lawn. Are such "lawn pavements" better than conventional lawn seeds? more
This topic in the program:
Market | 04/12/2021 | 8:15 pm
- 59 Mbit / s is a fast internet connection
- Accept Oyo-Room E AADHAAR
- South Asian hair is naturally frizzy
- What does the Albanian name Venis mean
- Can I run affiliate ads on Twitch?
- Which Kardashian Jenner is your favorite
- Is the leather industry bad for nature
- Small is a four inch erect penis
- Do we need a theory of entrepreneurship
- Let all organic compounds char when heated
- Where was the Galileo telescope invented?
- Penicillin is a sulfate
- Web development is easy
- When does God get angry?
- Does social wellbeing matter?
- What is radius and center of gravity
- What is an IIF file
- How can I learn freestyle rap
- What happened to North Korea
- When is ln x equal to 1
- Did Hitler pay taxes
- What are some slow pop songs
- Which book series would you always recommend
- Why is diode used in rectifiers
- Are the breasts real in porn videos
- What is the least powerful V12 engine
- Is cube steak tender
- Why is Poland Catholic and not Orthodox
- Who are the macroeconomic actors?
- Why is Manilla shutting down
- What singers threw up on the stage
- What is CBD concentrate
- What is Aliaa's true religion