Why is the dollar the most powerful
Rising dollar rateThe World power of U.S. dollar
While the Turkish lira is currently falling dramatically in value, the American dollar is becoming more and more expensive - and therefore more and more powerful. A currency that is already the most influential in the world anyway.
The fact that the dollar is currently so popular is due to the monetary policy of the US Federal Reserve System. It has cut back investments and prefers to withhold the dollar. This makes the supply of dollars more scarce in the market. At the same time, the Fed raised key interest rates. That makes investments in the dollar from outside more attractive again, because investors naturally want to get the highest possible interest.
"Put simply, this means that investors prefer to invest their money in safe projects in the US and not in politically insecure emerging countries."
At the same time, the US economy is better than expected. This also strengthens the currency because the demand for US dollars is increasing. However, because all of the world's important business, such as the oil business, freight rates in shipping and also business between banks, are usually carried out in dollars, the strengthening of the dollar has global effects.
"This affects the emerging countries negatively in particular. In other words, countries like Brazil, Argentina or Turkey that are currently catching up economically."
Because investors now prefer to invest their money in the US rather than in these emerging markets, there is less money available there. For example for new infrastructure projects.
"The status of the dollar as the global reserve currency gives the White House additional leverage."
With the strong dollar behind us, pressure can be exerted on other countries. With regard to Turkey, this means that with the announcement that US President Donald Trump wants to double tariffs on steel imports from Turkey, the value of the Turkish lira has fallen rapidly.
The result: many Turkish companies have taken out their loans in US dollars. With the loss of value of the lira, these loans can hardly be paid back. Donald Trump is thus hitting the economy in Turkey even harder than the increased tariffs alone.
US dollar currently unrivaled
It would be desirable to counter this market power of the dollar, explains economic journalist Katja Scherer. However, the prospects for this are extremely poor. Because all important business is done in US dollars.
What is needed is a currency that investors have as much confidence in as they do in the dollar. The euro is currently not a competitor.
"The problem is: At the moment there is no alternative. The euro zone is now not considered the safe haven."
Only in China are there efforts to establish the currency internationally. In order for the yuan renminbi to really represent an alternative to the dollar, the Chinese financial system would first have to be made more transparent and the market more open to foreigners. Processes that cannot be implemented so quickly.
- What is an integrated passive device
- You can follow anonymously on Instagram
- What is Vidhan Parishad and Vidhan Bhavan
- Has Yahoo customer service
- What are some simple workouts
- Like extroverted men, extroverted girls
- Why do people use Heroku
- How does MyCareerStack generate revenue
- Who knows the electronic contract manufacturers
- Can carbon fiber be reused or recycled
- What is MCA Filing
- Why do many people prefer overcrowded bars
- Do you want a romantic date 1
- What is the future scope in ITIS
- How many questions and answers populate Quora
- Can we use InstallShield with Java
- Where do the Death Eaters live
- How AI systems search the web
- What does a soul look like 1
- How does Python work with types
- How would you reinvent NYC coin phones
- What is the Illuminati 13
- Which is greater than 3 or 1 3
- What is move_uploaded_file in PHP