Did Obama destroy small businesses
Obama: The importance of Trump is overestimated
Former US President Barack Obama doesn't think much of Donald Trump's political legacy. The importance of his successor is overestimated, said the 59-year-old in an interview with the Second German Television. For example, Trump was not able to destroy the better access to health insurance introduced by the Democrats, as announced. And in terms of climate protection policy, the new government under Joe Biden could quickly pick up on the previous course and, for example, rejoin the Paris climate agreement.
Social conflicts and financial crisis
Regarding the strength of the conservative camp led by Trump and his influence, Obama said that in the end Trump was not re-elected - in contrast to himself in 2012. Trump's election victory in 2016 was due on the one hand to centuries-old social conflicts in the USA, but also in the 2008-09 financial crisis, said Obama. The economic turmoil at the time would have fueled instability and worries. Many people feared that there might be setbacks for them personally.
In this situation it is very often the case that politics rely on strong men, on power. In addition, right-wing social media were added, in combination with television channels such as Fox News. These people supplied with information "completely detached from reality," he criticized. "If you feed people lies, distortions, conspiracy theories, and if politicians try to exploit it for their own sake - then over time social trust can break down and the whole thing can lead to tragedy. Like the ones we saw here in the Capitol to have."
Tragedy of the storming of the Capitol
On January 6, hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol in the US capital in an unprecedented escalation of violence after Trump incited them at a mass rally. There were several fatalities.
US Congressmen try to get to safety when storming the Capitol
On the day after the attack on the Capitol, Obama had already spoken of a "moment of great dishonor" and a "shame for our nation". He blamed Trump for it. An incumbent president who spreads lies for no reason about the outcome of a legitimate election instigated the violence.
No comparison to Black Lives Matter
In this context, Obama criticized how poorly the security forces were prepared for such attacks on the parliament building in Washington. "The authorities were much more concerned and better prepared when it came to peaceful protesters in the Black Lives Matter protests." Some observers expressed the view that the mostly white protesters at the Capitol were treated comparatively gently by the police and emergency services.
Black Lives Matter is a US-founded and now international movement that campaigns against police brutality and racism. It was created in 2013 in response to the acquittal of a man who shot the 17-year-old African American Trayvon Martin a year earlier. In 2020, after the death of the African American George Floyd in a brutal police operation in Minneapolis, the movement gained further popularity and importance - not only in the USA, but also in numerous other countries.
sti / kle (dpa)
- The IBPS exam will be held in Hindi
- What are the uses of helium
- MS 13 is a foreign terrorist organization
- Satan sinned in heaven
- What emotions do cheetahs feel
- Which central universities offer B-Tech courses
- Why are there never garbage women
- How do people find unique questions
- Are we really our toughest critic?
- How do debt consolidation companies work
- How can alcohol sterilize wounds
- What size garden hose should I buy
- What does the term smoky voice mean
- Was the Hammurabi Code actually law
- How long do ORU kayaks last
- How much money does Clinton get overseas
- What is Prince 7 about
- Can I find an ex on Tinder?
- What does talkative mean
- Were Draupadi and Radha in the same time frame
- Can sheepdogs beat wolves
- How can I learn about model railways
- How is the average MPG for automobiles calculated
- Why is helium considered a gas
- How do I strategically make easy money
- How does Twitter fight cyberbullying?
- How did you learn Russian fallers
- What are some random facts about the story
- What is China's greatest weakness
- Which is unhealthy premixed tea or coffee
- What is a trade order
- What is 25 out of 100
- How do plants survive in one place