What drives everyone in life
Applicant question: what drives you?
The question is one of the 100 classics in job interviews: What is it that drives you? It counts, as do its relatives (What motivates you What are your career goals? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?), to the Motivational questions and is part of the so-called diagnostic phase an interview. It is less about the motivation for the specific position, but more about your so-called intrinsic motivation - or in short: It's about real passion…
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
What drives you: What is behind the applicant question?
The applicant question is quite inconspicuous, sounds simple, almost trivial. But they do has it all, a lot. Because you can hardly answer it dishonestly without a trained HR manager noticing. In the banal What is it that drives you? finally stuck one more Lots of other questionswhat ultimately makes it so complex:
- Why and what do you work for?
- Why did you choose this profession?
- What would you like to do?
- What role does our position play in your plan?
At first glance, they are primarily interested in yours Motivation. It should definitely flash through. But of course there is also another behind it Key questionthat every employer faces:
- Can we offer you what you are looking for to keep your intrinsic motivation?
Because of course the interviewer tries with this Applicant question make a comparison: He doesn't just want to hear that You are motivated but also wondering if The position you are striving for can offer you that at all. Otherwise, you are most likely soon frustrated, increasingly demotivated and maybe look for a new job in the foreseeable future - which is the same for the HR manager twice bad would. He has to ...
- ... the obvious one Miscast explain (what scratches his competence).
- … the spot fill again (which again causes costs).
Neither good. That is why HR managers like to ask this question - for pure reasons Self protection.
What is it that drives you? How you should answer it
You cannot motivate people to do something that they are not already motivated to do. At best, one can reduce demotivating elements and create freedoms ... This is - very simply - the basic rule of intrinsic motivation and the resulting management of employees. The prerequisite for this, however, is to first know if they are motivated and just What drives them.
It has long been known from psychology that every person - mostly unconscious - has motives that drive them to do something inside. These (secret) drivers play a decisive role in whether and for how long we are committed to a cause. Many of these have been learned, but they can also be made aware and directed through self-reflection.
In short: it's about real ones, yours Passion for a job or a specific profession. Because it is precisely this passion that lets us persevere when Setbacks or critics come; it outlasts short-term enthusiasm; it makes our eyes sparkle when we talk about our ideas or successes and this passion also infects other people (colleagues) who see and hear it.
But you can see that you can talk about it for a long time, yourself and explain his drive - but it is more convincing to do so demonstrate.
Therefore, a convincing answer to the question is difficult to fake or pimp. Who is here only a few Unwinds memorized sentences, will neither ignite sparks nor let them jump over.
Nor should you give any answers here that you think you will find your Wants to hear opposite. That doesn't convince anyone either - if only because it isn't authentic is.
However, since you are reading this article (and this is not an interview), you can and should take the chance to meet yourself to ask this question honestly and you answer for yourself, so: What is it that drives you?
You can get the answer about a few too Help questions approach:
- When engage do I particularly like myself?
- What do I invest the most in? Heart and soul?
- What suits me really dear to your heart?
- What can I definitely not do dispense?
- When I think of mine Hobbies think: why do I care for this?
- What am I special about? easy to handle - Why?
- What brakes more like me?
- What do I feel as meaningful activity?
- What is really me important in life?
The key here, however, is that you choose between like to do and do well differentiate: If you like to play soccer, you don't have to be a good soccer player. So try in your drivers as well if possible real strengths and talents to discover.
Extra tip: ask for some time to think about it
The question is smart - and in fact anything but trivial. The faster your answer comes, the more learned it works. So feel free to hesitate a little - if only for strategic reasons.
For example, say: “That's a really good question. I have to think about it for a moment " and ask for some time to think about it. A minute remain silent feels like an eternity in the situation - but the more well-founded your answer seems. Incidentally, this does not only apply to these applicant questions: reflection times and rhetorical pauses are completely okay, as long as they do not get out of hand and the answers are really good afterwards.
What is it that drives you? Examples
Ultimately there is on the question no wrong or right answers, at least not in terms of content. Often it also depends on the desired position. An example:
- A Sales representative, who earns the majority of his income from deals and bonuses, can safely admit that the prospect of big bucks and high commissions motivates him.
- Who against it for one Creative job advertises or even with a social institution, should not necessarily say that he or she is mainly attracted by the love of money ...
Several motifs can also be considered as drivers:
- Responsibility and Influence in the company.
- Social recognition for work - for example with doctors.
- A meaningful task.
- Immediately visible effects and successes of work.
- independence and freedom of work content.
- Good and fast Development opportunities.
- Flexible time management and evaluation based on performance, not attendance.
- A reasonable and fair one pay.
- (Financial) security for you and your family.
The key to one clever and impressive answer are then no keywords or textbook sentences like "I always want to be the best in everything I start", rather Anecdotes and concrete examples. So tell the interviewer on the basis of previous interests and successes what drives them again and again, motto: Three examples create a trend ...
It is also crucial that you use the proverbial in your stories Twinkle in your eyes able to see. So you're not just talking about your passion - you're actually demonstrating it.
Even more interview tips
➠ Interview: All the tips
Job interview process
➠ Interview preparation
➠ Application questions + answers
➠ Job interview clothes
➠ Introducing yourself
➠ End the interview
➠ Second interview
➠ Assessment Center
➠ Stress interview
➠ Job interview English
➠ Video interview
➠ Telephone interview
➠ These 100 questions can come
➠ 25 trick questions + answers
➠ Stress issues
➠ What are your weaknesses?
➠ What are your strengths?
➠ Why should we hire you?
➠ What was your last salary?
➠ Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
➠ Why did you quit?
➠ Inadmissible questions
➠ Inquiries to HR managers
Tips & Tricks
➠ Practice interview
➠ Interview mistakes
➠ White lies in the job interview
➠ body language tips
➠ Overcome nervousness
➠ Where to put your hands?
➠ Confirm the interview
➠ Postpone the interview
➠ Cancel the interview
➠ Cancel the interview
➠ Follow up after the conversation
- Most media are maliciously fraudulent
- Where can I buy Litecoins in India
- What made you wake up today
- Who knows the electronic contract manufacturers
- How effective was Mig 17 in Vietnam
- How can education affect the community
- Would someone like to take part in yoga classes?
- Good online video resources for studying thermodynamics
- Who invented Python programming
- What if the internet hates everything
- How can I get inspiration to learn
- How was Genworth Financial founded
- It's hard to find someone else's life
- What is the meaning of calling
- How is the transport survey data analyzed?
- What is the belief of scientists
- You can rent a Tesla Model 3
- Why does boredom cause useless eating?
- Can you get GTA 5 on Samsung
- Why did my car misfire?
- Craigslist is sketchy
- Do you think Supernatural should have carried on
- How can I understand basic military terms
- How do real estate investors benefit