What music has paradoxical lyrics
As Paradox is called a rhetorical stylistic device. The paradox is the exaggerated, absurd and apparently nonsensical formulation of a thought. This contradicting statement is, however, a profound insight. On closer inspection, paradoxes always have a higher truth. The stylistic figure has the contradiction in common with the oxymoron.
The term can be derived from ancient Greek (παράδοξον) and is exposed para (παρά) and doxa (δόξα) together. para means Next or except, being doxa With opinion or view translates. Paradoxes are contents that have a secondary opinion or that reveal a deeper, double meaning if you analyze them more closely. Let's look at an example to illustrate this.
death is life.
In the example above several stylistic devices are hidden. So are the lines of verseantithetical built up, because two statements are combined, which face each other in terms of content and also here is a semantic chiasm in front of and thus a content-related cross position or just a parallelism. Since the two statements face each other in terms of content, we are dealing with one oxymoron to do. The paradox is that this statement seems absurd at first glance and only makes sense on closer inspection.
Actually it says that life is death and death is life. These two statements contradict each other because, by definition, nothing lives that is dead. However, the whole thing makes sense if we accept the hidden, sometimes metaphorical, meaning. Let us assume, for example, that life is only the preliminary stage of heaven, the whole thing makes sense, since for some it is the place of life beyond.
Paradoxes can also be oxymora, as this example illustrates. The oxymoron means a statement that is based on a contradicting choice of words (Indoor swimming pool, peace armor, etc.), whereby there does not have to be a deeper meaning behind it. Hence the saying Less is more clearly an oxymoron because of the words Less and more exclude. But that's only half the story.
On closer inspection it could be noticed that something else could be meant. There are situations where the statement applies. For example, anyone who writes a text should always concentrate on the essentials and not write around the bush. In this case, less is actually more and the whole is therefore only a pseudo contradiction, i.e. a paradox.
when twoBald headin thehairObtain.
This example reveals that paradoxes can have a strange effect. At first glance, the statement contradicts itself, because a person who is bald is probably difficult to hold by the hair. The expression get into your hair a slang term used when people get into an argument. Here, too, oxymoron and paradox are connected.
Differences: Paradox, antithesis and oxymoron
In the course of a poem analysis, students often find it difficult to clearly identify the clear difference between paradox, antithesis and oxymoron. This is due to the fact that all style figures merge and also because the differences are very subtle.
- Antithesis: Is the opposing connection of two statements. However, these do not necessarily have to result in a contradiction, but only contradict each other in terms of content. Furthermore, the antithesis can be used to contrast words, word sequences and also entire sentences.
- Oxymoron: In contrast to the antithesis, only individual words are contradictingly linked with one another. As a result, antitheses and oxymora can be identical. However, the oxymoron does not only mean the comparison of two contradictions, but the logical connection of both, for example in "I old youth!". The contradictio in adiecto is a special form.
- Paradox: Here the contradiction of the statement only exists at first sight. On closer inspection it becomes apparent that the paradox contains a higher or further truth, which actually does not have to contradict itself, but reveals a wider meaning.
Forms of paradox
In literature, the stylistic figure means the pseudo contradiction. However, there are also paradoxes in philosophy, religion, and other sciences. The following is an overview of the species that are related to the style figure, possibly due to the contradiction.
- logical paradoxes: means the contradiction as a result of the negation of self-referentiality. As an example, the statement This sentence is wrong be valid. That statement is true when it is false and false when it is true. So the statement is negated when applied to itself.
- metaphysical paradoxes: To a certain extent they cannot be grasped with the intellect. Examples are the infinity of the universe or time. The idea of it eludes human possibilities, which is why it cannot be grasped by any means.
- semantic paradoxes: Contradictions in the meaning of signs.
- rhetorical paradoxes: I mean a pseudo contradiction, as it is described in this article. The essential feature is that the statement loses its contradiction on closer inspection.
Effect and function of the paradox
In principle, it is very difficult to ascribe an unambiguous and valid effect to a stylistic device. However, style figures have an effect on the recipient (Reader, listener)that triggers something in this one. This effect can be described. However, it must be checked whether it really applies.
- A pseudo contradiction is called a paradox. The actual statement of paradoxes can in some cases only be revealed through in-depth interpretation and analysis.
- With the old Stoics, a philosophical school of the West, paradoxes were used to express the diversity of life or of a situation. In addition, the paradox should be thought-provoking.
- Paradoxes often come in the form of a puzzle. This means that the statement appears nonsensical to the viewer and only afterwards does a deeper meaning become apparent. Furthermore, they come increasingly in the Emphasis, the joke and the blasphemy for use. The form of the Epigram, of aphorism and the Sentence elected.
- Note: The stylistic figure is particularly typical in religious literature and occurs very frequently in baroque, expressionism, hermetism, mannerism and mysticism (→ literary epochs).
- What are some random facts about the story
- What is left on the moon
- What's wrong with our life
- Why is my forehead big
- What are rectifiers
- How safe is North Hollywood CA.
- Which power supplies are recruited by Gate 2019
- Shouldn't be pax vobiscum pax vobis
- When are the SRM results declared?
- Is it normal to envy successful people?
- Are houses halfway more dangerous than prisons
- Which is the sodium salt of acid
- Which is the best guitar among 3500
- What is SpongeBob supposed to be
- How is Jaipur better than Delhi
- What is the treatment for torn toe
- Internet security is DMCA com trusted service
- What famous writers had unconventional writing habits?
- What is an aadhaar letter
- Who prepares the NEET papers
- What is the future of Ballarpur Industries
- What is special about Indians
- What impact did the Cold War have
- How is rational egoism compatible with socialism?