Supplied with 2 controllers for the SNES Classic
TechStage | Tests, advice and purchase advice on smartphones, smart homes, computers and technology that is fun
The clone of the SNES Mini arrives neatly packaged around three weeks after ordering. After opening the box, a positive surprise follows: The clone looks similar to the original SNES Mini and is well made. The housing of the clone console is a bit larger than the SNES Mini from Nintendo compared to the old original console from 1992, but the clone is also cute and small.
The gaps are even and the plastic housing looks high-quality. The two controllers are modeled on the real SNES controllers and have a pleasant feel. For the power supply, unlike the original, a microUSB power supply is included. An HDMI cable is also included.
The main distinguishing features to the original from Nintendo are a front-mounted status LED, other connectors for the controllers and the missing Nintendo lettering. The clone controllers hardly differ from the originals in terms of the pressure point. We have already experienced this differently when we tested the cheap USB-SNES controllers.
The two controllers are plugged in at the front. In contrast to the real SNES Classic Mini, the connections are freely accessible and not hidden behind a flap. The sockets for microUSB and HDMI are on the back of the housing. The status LED on the front shows whether the console is powered on.
The cheap clone console from China has a huge collection of games on board. In total, over 600 games are available in our test model. Well-known titles include Super Mario Bros 2 & 3, Double Dragon, Bomber Man and Donkey Kong.
When you look at the games list at the latest, real console professionals notice that something is wrong here. The games do not fit the console. Mario Bros and Donkey Kong are actually games for the old NES console from Nintendo. The versions for the successor SNES are called Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. Is it a typo?
None of the shops could or would not answer us whether the games were licensed. However, the number of games and the low price suggest that it is illegally used software.
After unpacking, we want to try the console right away. Connect the controller, microUSB and HDMI cables, switch on and off you go. So far, the SNES mini-clone works as hoped. After switching on, the monitor shows a selection screen with the superordinate game categories Action, Shoot, Sport, Fighting, Racing and Puzzle. Pressing a button on the controller opens the respective folder and shows a list of games. After pressing the button again, the selected title starts and the game begins. So far everything works fine.
However, we quickly find out that these are actually a lot of games for Nintendo NES. We are looking in vain for SNES titles. With over 600 games, we actually hoped that we would find at least some of the well-known SNES titles on the console, including classics such as F-Zero, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Secret of Mana, Tetris Attack or Zelda.
Although the existing games run smoothly with two people, there is no real joy. The NES games aren't bad, but we were expecting next-generation games.
After initial research, there is currently no way to install your own games on the system. The retrofitting with SNES content is therefore canceled.
Another problem is switching between games. With all other systems that we have tested so far, the user could end the current game at the push of a button and thus come back to the main menu. This is not the case with this clone: To quit a game, a restart is actually always necessary. This is cumbersome and, despite the short start-up phase, costs unnecessarily time.
The clone of the Nintendo SNES Classic Mini is mainly available from Chinese shops, Ebay and Amazon. The prices vary between 30 and 50 euros. The delivery time for our console was three weeks.
The cheap console is currently also being advertised on Facebook. However, it goes unmentioned that only old games run on it.
- Christianity is a first world problem
- Keeps another player legal in football
- Share your Spotify playlist
- What's your favorite modern reggae song?
- Is Pogba Muslim
- What is the purpose of a mandala
- What is a pen cutter
- What is an interview transcription
- Why is entertainment important to people
- How much does a solar charger cost
- What are some tips for stopping weeds
- Religion or slavery being older
- How's the show Gossip Girl
- What are some modern examples of tragedy
- What is grounding
- Is data warehouse a database Why
- Is the spine sideways to the shoulder
- What's your rating of Digital Nomads
- Why is Aamir Khan hated in India
- Mars is visible every night
- What are the ways to economic strengthening
- How do you like living in Utah
- How can someone prevent moisture in coffee
- How did Gaul become France?
- How did you use the books from Chemistry Cengage
- Who is the perfect trichologist in Delhi
- Money can cause Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- How do eagles die
- What do feminists think of Gone Girl
- What is unique to SEAL Team 3
- What is half of 3 12
- How can your past determine your future
- Is the status decentralized
- Can we schedule posts on Instagram