Can destroy CIWS ballistic missiles
The US Navy destroys ICBMs with SM3 missiles from the AEGIS system
This Monday, November 16, the U.S. Navy hit a ballistic missile on an SM3-IIA to intercept and destroy a ballistic missile trajecting an ICBM, an ICBM. The test was conducted in the Pacific near Hawaii and included the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer John Finn using its Aegis Baseline 9 system to detect the ballistic target missile launched by the Ronald Reagan Experimentation Center. on Kwajalein Atoll, then destroyed it with an SM3-IIA missile it had just launched.
This demonstration is a real success for both the US Navy and Raytheon, designer and manufacturer of the SM3. In fact, the SM3 is not initially designed to intercept ICBMs and is limited to medium range ballistic missiles with a single trajectory, and more specifically, much lower apogee and within range of the missile. Here, to successfully intercept, the SM3 had to hit the atmospheric re-entry vehicle in its descent phase while it is the fastest, which shows that it can participate in an ICBM under certain conditions.
The rest of this article is for subscribers only
Articles with full free access can be found in the "Free Articles" section. Subscribers have full access to news articles, analysis, and summaries. Articles in archives (older than 2 years) are reserved for professional subscribers.
Monthly subscription for € 5.90 per month - Personal subscription for € 49.5 per year - Professional subscription for € 180 per year - Student subscription for € 25 per year - Without promotional code -
Download theMobile meta-defense app for iOS or Android to be informed about new releases by notification.
- What are the biggest problems with Summify
- What other animals besides humans have culture?
- Why do people use Heroku
- How do I use FaceApp
- Old fishing lures are worth money
- How does the Kindle 3 display work
- Can stem cell treatment cure all diseases
- How often do piano strings break
- Why do you prefer Prezi over PowerPoint
- What security tools are used in Hadoop
- Why do I find auto-tune terrible
- What is the future of Ballarpur Industries
- Who produces the new Asterix books
- Starts Gudi Padwa before Shivaji Maharaj
- How can I block teenagers on Quora
- Micelles form in other solvents
- Are Puerto Rican immigrants
- Can an ENFJ be clumsy
- Should I invest in Unitech stocks?
- How do I unlock my wireless router
- There are a lot of spiders in Melbourne
- Officer and boss are the same
- What is the best alternative to PETA
- How has search engine optimization developed