Why does a river meet the sea?
Source: NASA GSFC
Strong phytoplankton growth, which is still visible despite the great distance from the river mouth, is the strongest evidence of the huge masses of water and suspended matter that the runoff carries with it. The nutrients present in the runoff and the decaying vegetation fertilize the surrounding water and favor the growth of pythoplankton, which leads to a high concentration of chlorophyll in the water. The seawater is diluted by the runoff, the salinity is reduced. A layer forms on the surface that absorbs heat because of the light-absorbing suspended matter. The combination of all these factors, as well as the speed and large amount of runoff, means that the river water mixes slowly with the seawater of the Atlantic, which is why its effects can be seen over a large area.
2) What could the knowledge of the direction of flow be useful for?
3) Look at the animation above. What could be the reason for the frequent changes in direction of the runoff within a year?
No, the direction of other discharges is very likely to be influenced by the respective local currents.
Try to find other large rivers and determine the direction of their drainage.
Knowing the direction of the runoff could help track debris entering the river or find plentiful fishing grounds.
Do you know any other reasons? (There are quite a few.)
During the year, the direction of discharge changes as frequently as the changes in currents, trade winds and tides. The volume of the runoff also affects the direction; for example, when the river is in high water, the fresh water will advance further east.
Source: NASA Earth Observatory
- What is your rating of the Freshdesk product
- What is your wasted talent
- What is your rating of the Slack product
- Who should take fish oil supplements
- What is misplaced anger
- What is 2 square root of 22
- What are creative skills
- How can I fix coil problems
- What is an IPD in a hospital
- How do I get Martin Garrix's autograph
- Is dementia preventable
- Is Oxford more expensive than London
- What is positive economy
- Was pioneered by Enya in New Age music
- How many teenagers are there in Sweden?
- What is the Japanese term for trust?
- Who sponsors the development of the R.
- Can whales breathe through water?
- Are empty bottles allowed on airplanes?
- How does metacognition affect learning
- How can you defend yourself against gas lighting
- Can someone have BPD and C PTSD
- What are the types of switch
- What is the treatment for Corex addiction